Thank you for your interest in being an appraiser or volunteer for our 2019 Affiliate Tournament! People like you are essential to having a wonderful tournament for our teams and team members – we cannot do it without you! Check out the sections below regarding being an appraiser or volunteer:
Appraisers are actively engaged with teams, helping them to check in to their tournament site, observing their challenge solutions, discussing the solutions with the teams, and providing feedback and scores to teams – remember, the job is to apPRAISE! In order to be an appraiser, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have graduated High School (before the tournament)
- Have completed online training on being an appraiser*
- Have completed in-person training regarding your specific challenge assignment – click here for the training event.
- Must NOT be appraising a family member, or a challenge for which you are a team manager
*More information regarding appraiser training will forthcoming – keep up to date by checking our website, Facebook, and your email regarding appraiser training.
Also, an appraiser must:
- Understand and value the creative process as it relates to Destination Imagination.
- Know the rules in the Challenge and the Rules of the Road.
- Enjoy working with young people and have a good sense of humor.
- Be committed to learning as much as possible about the assigned Challenge and not be afraid to ask questions if you don’t understand something.
- Be punctual and honor the commitment to attend training and the tournament.
- Be comfortable working as part of a team.
- Not mind getting down on the floor, if necessary, to examine a creation or to get a better view of a Presentation.
- Be able to appraise without bias towards or against specific teams and/or themes.
- Appreciate creativity in all its forms.
Registering as an Appraiser:
Registration as an appraiser can be done online by filling out this online form. Please note that there are 2 types of appraisers: Appraisers for teams, and Independent appraisers. If you have been asked by a team to be an appraiser, you must know the team number and organization name of the team you are appraising for. The registration system will ask whether you are appraising for a specific team or as an independent appraiser. We ask that all appraisers, whether for a team or independent, complete their registration by March 3rd, 2019.
Volunteers are another essential part of our tournament, doing such work as checking in teams, running scores and information, making sure doors are closed during team performances, or working in the concessions areas. These shifts usually run about 3 hours, and no prior training is required. These positions can be filled by anyone in middle school or older.
All teams are asked to provide a volunteer to assist in our tournament operations; we also welcome independent appraisers to support our tournament operations! Come celebrate a great day of creativity by giving a few hours of your time!
Registering as a Volunteer:
Registration as a volunteer can be done online by filling out this form. If you have been asked by a team to be a volunteer, you must know the team number and organization name of the team you are volunteering for. The registration system will ask whether you are volunteering for a specific team or as an independent volunteer. We ask that all volunteers, whether for a team or independent, complete their registration by March 3rd.
If you have any questions about being an appraiser or volunteer, or have any trouble with the registration system, please email the tournament director.